Friday, November 2, 2007

“Adventures in Eating” hits the road!

We find ourselves in Tallahassee, and of course whilst we are on business, we still have to eat. I was fortunate enough to find several good spots. Everyone needs a Chinese fix, or at least I do and the Ming Tree Restaurant is easily accessible and just down from the Capitol. Pictures of several legislators hang on the wall, including that of Senator Bullard who brought us the historic line,Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket "Before this debate on taxes, I thought portability was a place to go to the bathroom". I ate in. It was a slow night and since I was eating by myself, awkwardly quiet. I'd get take out next time.
Not having enough MSG that week already, I headed over to the King Buffet the next night, which came highly recommended by Greg. They have good sushi with more variety than usual at these types of affairs. The buffet was small but tasty. They do have that watch-while-they-make-it type grill, but during my meal, no one was manning the desk and a bin full of raw chicken sat stagnant next to the other ingredients. I would stick with the pre-made buffet offerings. As a regular during the legislative session, Greg would be able to do it more justice. It is very close to the La Quinta, so that is a great advantage, unless it was dark and rainy like when I went and you’ve got to drive anyway. Afterwards, I decided to try a different ethnicity the next night.
The Black Bean Cuban Cuisine has a signature gumbo which was really good and very spicy. Always one to try soemthing new, I had fried yucca for the first time and loved it. I do find it hard to imagine eating a plant that looks like this. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket It was a little tough by nature, but made a satisfying munching experience. There was an awesome sauce that was mayonnaise based I think which annoyed me, but it worked with the fries. The guava cheesecake was a no bake deal, good for a sweets fix, but hardly the real thing. I took my food back to the La Quinta to watch Law and Order, but it looked like fun to eat in. There were a lot of families and the place was a whirlwind of activity. Grub was cheap and hearty.

If you’re in the neighborhood, check these places out!

Black Bean Cuban Cuisine
2205 Apalachee Pkwy
Tallahassee, FL 32301
(850) 656-7848
:-) - $

Ming Tree Restaurant
1435 E Lafayette St
Tallahassee, FL 32301
(850) 878-1779
$

King Buffet
2814 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32301
$

The true hometown culinary royalty of Tallahassee is Cabo’s Tacos. It will be the next posting (hopefully)!

No comments: